Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Eat Pray Love














In 2007 my close friend Ruby gave me a book as a going away present. (She was the one going away, mind you and I got a present, don't you love my friends!) The title of the book was Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's story about one woman's self-discovery. She recently got a divorce and decided that she wanted to find herself again...she travels the world picking the brains of the people she meets and tries to open herself up to new and very different experiences. Her travels take her to 3 places, Italy, India and Indonesia. I can't say that it was the best book that I have read but I took something away from it like I do most books.

Sometime last year, I heard that they were planning to make a movie from the book and Julia Roberts was to star in it. Now the movie is out in the US and it has all these women talking about the meaning of it. I didn't realise what a great marketing gimmick this would be cause when you get a word of mouth publicity about a movie that is meant to be appeal to more intellectual, you really don't need much else before people start flocking into what i would guess to be a less than mediocre film.





The trailer for the movie : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZzmqHJ0gPU

Maybe it would mean more to Americans since a lot of them don't travel outside of their own borders and the mystical Asian ways are all very new to them but looking at it from an Asian perspective and having done my fair share of travels and diary entries.... What I want to know is, what's the big deal?

2 comments:

  1. U weren't talking about the book when u were criticizing it were you???

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Eat,Pray,Love" is built on the notion of a woman trying to heal herself from a severe emotional and spiritual crisis.Gilbert suggests more than once that she was at risk for suicide.Reeling from a contentious divorce,and a bout of depression,she decided to spend a year travelling in Italy,India and Indonesia."I wanted to explore one aspect of myself set against the backdrop of each country,in a place that has traditionally done that one thing very well,"she writes,"I wanted to explore the art of pleasure in Italy,the art of devotion in India and in Indonesia,the art of balancing the two".Her trip was financed by an advance on the book she already planned to write and "Eat,Pray,Love"is the mixed result.

    I believe that time heals all wounds.No doubt money will be wasted but by seeing and feeling and being different in another world brings peace that abides.Peace that could heal a broken heart.We shouldn't think that when we fail in a marriage,we lose everything.Yesterday's failure can become TODAY'S success!!!!!

    ReplyDelete