Monday, September 6, 2010

Cashing in on Your Misfortune: Turn Your Frown Upside Down

Some people have a knack for making lemonade out of lemons, taking a rainy cloud and turning it into profit, fame and fortune. If I could do that, I would be a trillionaire. But somehow I fail to see how my uncle’s recent passing or my mum falling ill somewhat of a cash cow. One thing is for sure, misery loves company that would explain why most people who are unhappy would usually, very readily share their rainy cloud with you. I digress, sharing your misfortune with others help them cope with theirs.

Recently I wrote about Eat, Pray Love…I seemed to have missed the point completely. Although I wasn’t particularly impressed with the book and the movie is supposedly even worst. Here is a woman who has turned her divorce, a crippling experience for most into a New York Times Bestseller. She has turned her inability to hang on to a union made before God and man and turned into an adventure to foreign countries, sampling food, spirituality and romance. She didn’t sit around mope and cry over her spilt milk, she made it into a Hollywood hit! So now I look at Elizabeth Gilbert through new eyes. I heard of a man here in Malaysia, who was so moved by the tsunami that hit Asia in 2004 that he traveled to all the countries hit by the raging waters and made a moving documentary of the people and their lives after the storm. He is now immortalized in the hearts of the people that he encountered and the people that he has touched through his film. While another radio personality who survived the tsunami in Sri Lanka and went back a year later to help the people there. She looks at life in a way that most people could only dream about, she is fearless.

So what have I learned about life’s tragedy, that some people handle it much better than others. Some people can cash in on it while other grabs life by the horns…make it almost seem silly for all that crying fussing now but I am gonna try it…the next time something bad happens… I am gonna turn it around…How? You will just have to wait and see.

3 comments:

  1. My goodness Nisha, you just awakened a revelation in me!!! THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My two boys could never handle a situation by themselves or even lift a finger to help with the housework. But since I entrusted them into the hands of my Mother-in-law who is 'fearless' and a replica of Nanny Mcphee,turned my two boys into great young heroes.

    True to my words,they wake up early by themselves,listening to the alarm clock and wash up,brushed their teeths,changed into their school uniforms and even ate their breakfast gracefully...As if Nanny Mcphee had really exist!

    Before I came here,my two boys could barely lift a finger much more munch a biscuit or a toast before leaving...there has been much noise like,"MOOMMM...where's my SOCKS????I can't find them...or they don't match...MOTHER????"

    Now,they are such good boys;they wash their school shoes all by themselves..put shoe white as well and take their meals gracefully...without havoc!!Who says Nanny Mcphee is no good??? Heaven sends...and I am grateful for it.

    It turns out that my divorce gives a good turn..my two boys are independent...I had a good time with my reconciliation and gladly to say,Nanny Mcphee was and is, paid quite well by me.

    So you see,I can turn a misfortune at first into a profit,fame and fortune.

    ReplyDelete