Friday, June 11, 2010

How Do You Know That You're in Love?

The other day my cousin came up to me and asked me, what I think to be the toughest question you could ever ask..."How do you know when you're in love?" My mum simply retorted, "You will know." Now although that answer is truthful, I think it is less than sufficient. You see my mum comes from years and years of experience of different types of love and she knows that it simply can't be summorised for my cousin to understand. She would have to experience it for herself.

However for me, love is not thinking about your boyfriend/girlfriend all the time. Love is not the butterflies in your stomach when you see that special someone. Love is not chocolates, flowers and surprise gifts, that my friend, is infatuation. Love happens when you get passed that stage. Its the patience you have for someone even when you know you've seen this happen a million times and instead of saying "I told you so", you say "Its gonna be alright." Its the strength you show when you know you should be at your weakest. Its being there for them even when you hate seeing what's going on. Its sticking through the hard times while being thankful for the easy ones. Its the knowledge that love doesn't fade without you allowing it to happen. Its working at it and never giving up. Finally true love is letting someone go even when all you want is for them to be yours forever and trusting that if it was meant to be they will come back to you......eventually.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm... Yeah, that make sense... Love is all about letting what you loves go even though it mean you will never have it back if you think it will make that person happy..

    ReplyDelete
  2. you sound like a woman of experience nina :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful piece. Very well said. Especially the last part. As painful as letting go is, we do it regardless of the selfishness we humans suffer from, all in the name of love.

    I quote William Butler Yeats, "O love is that crooked, there is nobody wise enough, to find out all that is in it..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sim, you and I should talk love ...you my friend are my kindred

    ReplyDelete